The origin of the Woombye Pub dates back to gold rush days of Gympie in 1867. Cobb & Co. coaches carried passengers and goods between Brisbane and Gympie and set up 'Middle Camp' staging depot half way along the route, located here at Woombye. This was where Cobb & Co. built the only accommodation along its route and became known as Cobb's Camp Hotel. Travelers by coach, on horseback and on foot were accommodated at the Hotel with James Costar as the innkeeper.
In 1877, Karl Stumpf was granted a license to sell liquor at the Hotel, however with the withdrawal of Cobb & Co mail services in 1880 the hotel barely managed to continue. In 1881 Frederick Schubert took charge and moved into the hotel with his family; the surrounding area began to flourish. Schubert purchased the land in 1889 where he would build his own hotel, around this time Schubert and other ‘locals’ changed the town’s name from Cobbs Camp to Woombye. In 1900 Schubert opened his new hotel named The Criterion Hotel, and is where The Woombye Pub stands today.